Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Interviewing is stupid!

I am not a good "butt-kisser", I am not a good here is the "right" answer for an interview person. Because I think interviewing, as with all other shmoozing (spelling?!?!?!) is STUPID. If you really want to get to know someone, maybe you shouldn't try to trick them, that is how I feel about questions such as, "What is your weakness?" Really? Lets hire someone based on how well they LIE! That is what we are asking, don't really admit you are human and sometimes screw up, and have weaknesses but make one up so it can sound like a strength.Im pretty sure an interviewer doesn't want to hear that I accidentally threw away the 3rd graders ungraded pre-test for Spelling and so canceled the final spelling test this week. Because, I struggle with staying organized. In the education world, they always ask, "What is your favorite (strongest) grade to work with? This again is a trap rather than admitting and saying I love ___ grade because. Oh no that's not okay because then you aren't flexible. So you have to Miss America it. "Oh i love every grade, they all are fun and unique..." If you say, "I really HATE kindergarten.." That is the WRONG answer. How can there be a WRONG answer when you are asking for an opinion... don't we teach kids an opinion can't be wrong?. Do people who are interviewing actually expect you off the top of your head to be able to give EXAMPLES of something. When they ask, give us an example of a time you were proactive, what did you do? Why? How did it work? And I'm supposed to just PULL something out of my butt? You want to know what happens 99% of the time.. people MAKE stuff up. Again with the LIES. Having done 2 Target interviews which are all "give me an example of a time"questions. Let me tell you, "This one time at Odyssey.... BS, BS, BS. I usually don't completely make up a story but I do combine them and like I can remember details. But we have not yet come to by LEAST favorite, biggest pet peeve question. What unique qualities can you bring to this job?... Well since
A) I don't know the people who work for you all that well, how am I supposed to know if it is a unique quality?
B) The shear fact that I am ME. Its not 1 quality that makes a person unique, it is their life experiences and their personality. No matter who you hire you're getting someone unique.
C) I have no idea what the hell would be the "right answer"
I am going to babble out some B.S. that isn't really a unique quality.
When I am a principal and get to interview people, I am going to take them to lunch. We are just going to talk, no trick questions, no 1 person vs. 6. Then I am going to actually watch them teach. Watch them interact with students. Seriously, I challenge any principal, teacher, person in this world to come watch me teach, and then to just sit down and talk with me about teaching what happened that day, what I did etc; Get me started on education, behavior management whatever, in an actually conversation (not a LIE) and not hire me. Seriously, that sounds terrible, I know I haven't been teaching for 30 years or whatever, and have a lot to learn but I feel like I can hold my own with any other teacher...BUT instead they'd rather have me BS my way through an interview.
The End

Just kidding: I'd like to pass a note on to a certain parent who sits on a certain board of directors at a certain charter school.
I understand that you have an inferiority complex because you run and are "the boss" of people who have more experience than you in the education world, I know that a part of you knows this and in order to make yourself secure and validated you want to hire someone who LOVES parents and their input. However, asking the same question twice is stupid. Asking, "Give us an example of how you deal with parents." and "How do involve parents in the classroom. Is the SAME question.

3 comments:

Dimples said...

Deep breaths. In.... and out..... In...... and out.... It'll all work out. It's like I used to tell Nick about AP English. You have to deal with the stuff you don't agree with now--the "right or wrong" answers that don't exist--in order to get somewhere better. You will get hired, you will be a great teacher, and you will make a difference in kids' lives. So for now, just endure through the trial, and keep your eye on the prize. :)

Erin said...

Amen to Ally's comment. I know it is hard and, at times, infuriating, but you are a GREAT teacher and anyone worth his or her salt is going to know that.
Call me! I got your text and want to gossip (just a little and nothing mean). :-)

BloggingBills said...

baby,
I told you they would ask stupid questions. I told you it would be dumb. But the reality is, they are trying to be 'unique' in their interviewing questions and in the process, really miss the point-- watch me teach and then judge. Sorry it was so awful, but every interview gives you experience in interviewing (basically thinking on your feet and answering silly questions). Hope you have a better time with the next one.
MA
PS: That parent knows that our parents can be a handful, which is probably why she asked. My biggest complaint at our school is how hard it is to work with parents when parent involvement is required (as much as you can require from a public school.)