Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Some Days...

Some days I miss my cute, non-attitude giving, 1st graders. One of these days happened last Thursday when during our prep hour the office buzzes the room to tell the teacher and I that 3 students are being sent back from Music... Sigh. I go to meet these students coming back from Music. 3 boys were being brought back by a very upset, very angry, very frazzled music teacher. The only words out of her mouth were, "I don't know what has gotten in to your class today, I wish I could send them all back." I told her, "I'll come get them." Apparently in 20 min of a 30 min music class NOTHING had been able to happen because students were talking, calling out, arguing, rolling their eyes, throwing things, etc. I tried VERY hard to not yell, or scream. I told them to get out their notebooks, and write an apology letter to our dear music teacher. I did not want to hear about how they did nothing, EVERYONE was writing a letter. Or else they would not be going home (there were 10 min of school left). Needless to say we made the next day of school very painful for 30 3rd graders.
Another one of these days happened yesterday. The class was in Centers, I had just finished with a reading group and a girl comes up to me and says, "Mrs. Harris, Frank (name has been changed) is rolling on the ground holding his privates... He agonized and hunched over when he walked for the next 30 min moaning and groaning, he told me he hadn't been kicked or hit, but this had happened on Saturday. 10 min before lunch recess (after telling him he would have to go lay down during recess if he wasn't better), he is better, walking, smiling. He goes to recess, then lunch. As the class comes back from lunch, Frank is missing. I am told he is in the lunch room crying. APPARENTLY, he wasn't faking, a janitor had to carrying him to the office, and once laid down and stretched out it wasn't his privates that hurt but his lower abdomen. His mom cam and got him. He was not in school today... we are worried it is his appendix. OOPS!

3 comments:

Dimples said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dimples said...

That just happened to my coworker's son at school too. He's 14 though. Very scary.

BloggingBills said...

Was it his appendix? I usually tell them that if there is no barf, blood or fever to suck it up and deal. Glad I didn't have him in my room. I'd probably be getting sued right now.

MA