Thursday, January 3, 2013

Healthy

I know it's cliche to write a post about getting healthy and in shape on January 3rd. However, in my defense this is something Brian and I have been working on since October.that being said here goes my great plan to get healthy.

I would like go start by saying I feel like I have an uphill battle facing me. There are a lot of factors that are encouraging me to stay out of shape and unhealthy. Besides being lazy which is the biggest one, I am on medication that has caused me to gain 20 lbs since Aug, increases appetite and makes me crave carbs. I love all things related to cake, and cookies. 60% of people with narcolepsy are obese and did I mention I'm lazy? Okay so all that being said I am determined to win this uphill battle. Thankfully Brian is on board with eating healthy mostly cause his job makes him stay in shape  or else they will kick him out.
Last week I started thinking about everything we needed to be doing differently to have a truly healthy lifestyle and it was overwhelming. I decided to come up with a 4 week plan to healthily eating and living. Each week I am implementing 1 new healthy habit. I am not giving anything up completely, I have tried that and failed too many times. I know I will drink diet coke, I'll eat ice cream and I'll order French fries. Plus giving things up makes me want them even more. Soinstead im adding good things in. Join us this month on adding 4 new healthy habits to your life. You can use mine or come up with your own. Here are my first four habits.

Week 1: Drink more water. Water increases metabolism and so good for you...but I'm not a big water drinker. For the most part unless its really cold I don't love plain water. Especially here in Hinesville we have to use a brita water pitcher cause the water tastes nasty. However I have discovered Mio. You add a couple of drops and poof flavored water. Zero calories. Wal mart makes a generic brand. For 3 bucks you get flavored water for a month. It's in a little container that fits in a purse or even a pocket. So now I have no excuse. I'm aiming for at least 72 oz of water a day.

Week 2: Eat veggies. I could go days and not a vegetable. This is a problem. So my goal is to eat 4 servings of veggies a day. I love smoothies so I'm going to add spinach to smoothies, make a veggie to go with dinner every night, and pre cut raw veggies to make them easily accessible.

Week 3: Measure food portions. This is something I have fought against for years. I didn't want to be "that girl" the high maintence one. Then I realized "that girl" looks and feels the way I want to. Also, I read that if you measure out food portions for even just 2 weeks you get a better idea of what you should actually be eating. It isn't something I have to do for every meal for the rest of my life but it will allow me to get in the habit of eating correct portions and not over eating. 

Week 4: Slow down. I eat way too fast. Brian and I can finish a meal in less than 15 min. There is something depressing about taking longer to cook dinner than eat it. Not to mention you eat more when you eat fast. 

There you have it. The 1st 4 weeks of healthy habits. I know a ton of people start each year wanting to lose weight, get healthy etc. Maybe if we all work together we can actually do it.