Thursday, June 25, 2009

A tempting quick fix

So I was reading Cosmopolition (A girl I work with left it at my house). And I read about this woman who was about to resort to gastric bypass surgery to try and lose weight and keep it off. However a few weeks before surgery her friend came to the rescue and introduced her to this fiber that comes in capsule form so you swallow like a pill. It is 100 % natural, it is like super fiber that when you eat/take it, expands in your stomach making you feel fuller faster and as all good fibers do help to metabolism your food so that it is less likely to sit un used and turn into fat. The woman went to 3 doctors and all of them agreed that it is completly safe, Japan has been using it for years. The woman lost..47 lbs in 7 weeks, has stopped taking the fiber and has kept the weight off for over 6 months now...I should not have read this article especially after being frustrated that after either riding my bike or walking everyday and limiting my fast food intake to less than once a week and eating lots of fruits and veggies no chips, minimal cookies, my graph has only gone down 3 squares... after a month. The trial package of said fiber for someone who wants to loose 20 lbs that comes with enough for 3 months was $45 dollars, that seemed pretty reasonable as I sat there feeling pudgy. But then i remembered that i am leery of "quick fixes" and as ritalin is an appetite supresent and I only eat once maybe twice a day as is I decided to keep trying the old fashion way even though I am more hungry now that I excersise than I used to be which makes it really hard to not munch all the time, but if by the end of the summer it doesn't work I am getting the super fiber.

4 comments:

Erin said...

hahaha; that's the same stuff that is in "Full Bars"-have you heard of those? They are "granola" bars that make you feel full. You have to make sure you take lots of vitamins; it would really suck to lose a lot of weight but get scurvy in the process. :-)
Also, do please remember that you, obnoxiously tiny you, have much less weight to begin with, so you probably won't lose that much. :-( Sorry...if it's any comfort I too have exercised and cut way back on calories...I have gained weight...just say'n...

Morgan Hagey said...

You are probably not losing weight quickly because of the ritalin. Just because it's an appetite suppressant does not mean you shouldn't eat. Your body needs fuel even if your brain says you don't. When you don't eat, you go into starvation mode. So, your body hangs on to the extra weight as protection. Try eating 6 small meals a day, including dairy and protein. I betcha you'll lose weight faster.

BloggingBills said...

Right on babe. I agree with your sibs. I've been exercising and not eating junk food and my graph keeps going up also. Sigh.

You're basically a tiny person. You probably won't lose much at all no matter what 'quick fix' you try because when you go off the quick fix it'll come back.

Morgan is right. 6 tiny meals on 'eat low on the food chain' foods will serve you better. For instance, we had about 6 kinds of fruit for dinner the other other (and some bar-b-qued chicken sandwiches, but not much meat there). It was wonderful.

Another thing (and this is hard if you are married to anyone who likes to snack late at night, on say, ice cream!!!) don't eat after 7 pm.


Good luck baby, I'm sorry about the genes you inherited that make it hard to lose weight and basically make you 'compact'-- not long and lean.

Love ya,
MA

Dimples said...

Ok, your whole family basically already said this, BUT...
1. You are a tiny person, so they "extra weight" you have is just a few pounds, rather than the 25 I need to lose, so you're not going to lose a ton, AND it's not going to come off as fast as someone who's larger.
2. Remember the good ole weight watchers diet? They tell all their customers that they HAVE to eat all their points (e.g. if my point allotment for the day was 18, I have to eat 18 points worth of food, not 12) or you won't lose weight. AND they make you eat more for exercising-- you just used up a ton of energy, you need to replace it. Weight Watchers really works, so I would trust them on this one.
3. If you don't have a good balance between cardio and weight lifting/ab work outs, you could actually end up getting negative results.
4. You are in no way FAT, so if you fail to beat your family at the weight loss game, BUT you've helped yourself create healthy habits so you're a healthier person in general, then you should still be very happy. :)