Friday, March 4, 2011

Friday Afternoons

Dear Jordan School District,
I am writing in regards to our early out Fridays. I understand that these days were designed to give teachers, like myself, some "prep" time for the next week. I really do appreciate early out. Knowing I have less than an hour of school left after recess is often all that makes me come back after lunch. However, I think that you may have overlooked an important fact when deciding to do early out Fridays for teacher prep time. I am exhausted and DONE by Friday afternoon. This exhaustion causes my afternoon to vary in productivity. For example, last Friday, I laid on the table in my room only semi-conscious for about 20 min. I then wondered to another teacher's room and we talked for an additional 20 min. I finally decided that I HAD to get some work done and sat on the floor filing papers. I fell asleep within 5 min. At this point I thought about going home only to remember I had to stay until 4. I decided that sitting was not an option and tried to straighten my room and write on the board for Monday morning. I don't remember moving any papers or cleaning up but stacks of papers are still missing and I came in on Monday morning to discover that what I had written on the board was nonsense. Most Friday's follow this pattern.
It is now Friday afternoon, and I am facing 2.5 more hours of "work". I need at least 2.5 hours to get ready for next week but I also need a nap. Could I just lock my door, close my eyes and sleep for a while? Having a quality after school nap would really help with Friday afternoon productivity. Quality here meaning uninterrupted, on something soft (I don't even need a pillow). I appreciate your consideration on this matter and hope to be in contact.

Sincerely,
Kelsey Harris

3 comments:

Morgan Hagey said...

do try and stay awake. :)

Erin said...

Oh dear...so sleepy...try to rest.

BloggingBills said...

Prep time beats 'meeting time' all Friday afternoon. Cuz then you go home after 3 hours of meetings very frustrated because you still have 3+ hours of prep, grading, etc. etc. to get done before Monday afternoon.
If a cat nap would help, I'd lock my door, take a nap off to the side where no one can see you, set the alarm for 1 hour and go for it. I too am SO DONE on Friday afternoons that I just sit, (instead of going to lunch or talking...) and stare at my messy room, wishing I had the get-up and go to get something done before the meeting marathon begins.
People not in the know would tell you to quit complaining cuz what other job gets paid so well (HA!) to get 'off' at 4 every day?
Sigh.
MA