Saturday, January 9, 2010

The First Week of 1st Grade

Let me begin this post by saying while 1st grade is not as bad as I thought 6th graders are way better. Moving on, I have survived the 1st week of student teaching. I have a very laid back teacher which is nice. I do not really like having an aid in the room all morning, she could actually go away and I would be alright with that. And while I was frustrated because I felt like my teacher didn't want me to do much, I learned on Friday that she didn't want to just make me do things I wasn't comfortable with. She had to take care of a parent issue after lunch, which left me to read Junie B Jones out loud to the the class, she apologized no less than 15 times for just making me do it. Also, who knew that telling 1st graders to put their math manipulatives under their chairs so they wouldn't play with them was "genius" and qualified a math lesson to be "amazing". Overall, it was a good first week. Only 5 more to go than I go to 3rd grade. The 3rd grade teacher is having baby the last week of my student teaching so I get to go from student teacher to long term sub through the end of May. Also, I have successfully completed the first 2 assignments for the computer class that I have registered for 4 times before this but have never actually finished. I have not eaten out once this week, I went to the gym 3 times this week (I worked the other two nights). Take that New Years Resolutions!

2 comments:

BloggingBills said...

So I take it that you are not as frustrated as you seemed on Thursday evening? You can student teach for me any day. I yelled at the kids 'bout 3 times an hour on Friday(they were outta control!). Sigh.

I tell the kids to put the math manipulatives in the middle of the desks (there are 4 together) and if they touch them, I just take them away. To that kid's great sorrow. I usually relent about 5 min later and give them back, but boy are they learning self control.

Here's an idea for a center that I just thought of because I was too lazy to type up card of this week's spelling words. I have this giant poster I made of different letter combinations: ough, ee, sh, etc. (We call them phonograms). I'm having the kids take post if notes and write a spelling word that has that phonogram and stick it to the poster. They can use their spelling book (there are 270 words we've learned so far) if they need to look back. They LOVE post-it-notes and LOVE sticking them anywhere they can (usually on each other) but this will give them practice in writing and breaking words down and I just had to dig out the poster.
MA

Erin said...

Yay! I was going to call tomorrow to ask about this week. Well, I'll probably call anyway, but I am glad that it went okay. :-) Do you get paid as a long term sub? Cuz, that'd be awesome.